Many Adverbs of Manner are formed by combining adjectives with ‘ly’.
许多状态副词是以形容词加上 ‘ly’ 形成的。
loud + ly = loudly 大声地
quiet + ly = quietly 安静地
quick + ly = quickly 快速地
slow + ly = slowly 缓慢地
clear + ly = clearly 清楚地
beautiful + ly = beautifully 美妙地
An adverb of manner tells us how an action is done. It is usually used after a verb, as it tells us how the action of a verb is done.
sing beautifully 优美地唱
(The adverb ‘beautifully’ is used after the verb ‘sing’.)
(副词 ‘beautifully’ 位于动词 ‘sing' 之后。)
danced gracefully 优美地跳舞
drive carefully 小心地驾驶
laugh heartily 开怀地笑
smile broadly 开心地微笑
cry bitterly 伤心地哭
sit comfortably 舒服地坐
talk politely 有礼貌地说话
The dancers are dancing gracefully on the stage.
I am waiting patiently for my turn to buy a ticket.
The professor explained the details to the students clearly.
The little girl cried bitterly when her pet cat died.
Li Fang’s grandfather died peacefully in his sleep.
Robin talked politely to the principal.
There are adverbs of manner which do not end with ‘ly’, especially one-syllable adverbs such as ‘fast’， ‘soon’， ‘high’, ‘late’ and ‘hard’.
有些状态副词不以 ‘ly’ 结尾， 尤其是单音节的。例如： ‘fast’、 ‘soon’、 ‘high’、 ‘late’ 与 ‘hard’.
He ran fast and beat all the other runners.
She works hard every day.
The bird flies high in the sky.
Lina came late to work yesterday.
I hope that he will arrive soon.
Rewrite the following sentences, adding the adverbs in brackets correctly. Sometimes the adverbs can be placed in more than one position.
1. We cannot go out because it is raining. (heavily)
2. The students are all dressed for the graduation ceremony. (smartly)
3. The schoolchildren crossed the road. (carefully)
4. I’m sorry. I broke your pen. (accidentally)
5. Today is a sunny day. The sun is shining in the sky. (brightly)
6. Susan’s teacher praised her for writing. (neatly)
7. The old man shouted at the mischievous boys. (angrily)
8. Michael was punished for behaving. (rudely)
9. The drunk is walking across the road. (unsteadily)
10. My dog growled at the stranger standing at the gate. (fiercely)
11. All the soldiers fought in the war to defend their homeland. (bravely)
12. The philanthropist donated to the flood victims. (generously)
13. Frank performed on the stage and won the first prize. (skillfully)
14. Tom lied on the couch after a hard day’s work. (lazily)
15. Although May was scared, she tried to face the situation. (calmly)
1. We cannot go out because it is raining heavily.
2. The students are all dressed smartly for the graduation ceremony.
3. The schoolchildren crossed the road carefully.
4. I’m sorry. I broke your pen accidentally.
5. Today is a sunny day. The sun is shining brightly in the sky.
6. Susan’s teacher praised her for writing neatly.
7. The old man shouted angrily at the mischievous boys.
8. Michael was punished for behaving rudely.
9. The drunk is walking unsteadily across the road.
10. My dog growled fiercely at the stranger standing at the gate.
11. All the soldiers fought bravely in the war to defend their homeland.
12. The philanthropist donated generously to the flood victims.
13. Frank performed skillfully on the stage and won the first prize.
14. Tom lied on the couch lazily after a hard day’s work.
15. Although May was scared, she tried to face the situation calmly.