Singular subjects go with singular verbs.
|Examples of Singular Subjects 单数主语的例子||Examples of Singular Verbs 单数动词的例子|
|he 他||goes 去|
|she 她||drinks 喝|
|Alan 艾伦||plays 玩|
|Xiao Ling 小玲||runs 跑|
|friend 朋友||does 做|
|aunt 舅母||knows 知道|
|child 小孩||eats 吃|
|dog 狗||barks 吠|
|cat 猫||mews 喵|
He cycles to school daily.
She drinks a glass of lemonade every afternoon.
Alan plays with his neighbors in the evening.
Chen Ping runs as fast as a deer.
My friend does aerobics once a week.
The child usually eats bread and butter for breakfast.
Her cat mews when it is hungry.
Plural subjects go with plural verbs.
|Examples of Plural Subjects 复数主语的例子||Examples of Plural Verbs 复数动词的例子|
|they 他们||like 去|
|we 我们||love 爱|
|Mingfu and Aifang 明福和爱芳||go 去|
|relatives 小玲||visit 跑|
|colleagues 朋友||call 打电话|
|men 男人||play 玩|
|children 小孩||eat 吃|
|watches 手表||keep (手表、时钟)走|
|roosters 公鸡||crow 啼叫|
They like shopping.
We love your fruit cake.
Mingfu and Aifang go swimming very often.
Our relatives visit us every month.
Your colleagues often call you.
The men play basketball on Sundays.
The roosters crow early in the morning.
His watches keep good time.
‘I’ and ‘you’ are singular pronouns, but they take plural verbs.
‘I’ 和 ‘you’ 是单数代名词，但与复数动词连用。
I watch TV in the evening.
I read whenever I am free.
You speak French fluently.
You play the saxophone well.
‘You’ can also be a plural pronoun, when it refers to more than one person. When it is a plural pronoun, it also takes a plural verb.
当 ‘you’ 是指超过一个人时，它就是复数代名词。当我们把 ‘you’ 当作复数代名词时，它也与复数动词连用。
Choose the correct answers.
1. Water ( freeze, freezes ) at 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. We ( keep, keeps ) our stamps in albums.
3. My friends and I ( fly, flies ) kites when the weather is windy.
4. Your dog ( growl, growls ) when it is angry.
5. Michael always ( complete, completes ) his work quickly.
6. My neighbors ( grow, grows ) vegetables in their backyards.
7. I ( know, knows ) the answer to this question.
8. The beggar ( beg, begs ) for money on the street every day.
9. All my aunts ( cook, cooks ) well.
10. You ( shut, shuts ) the windows before you go to bed at night.